A Tuscan story

The origins

The Borro is situated in one of the valleys of Arezzo, Val d’Arno di Sopra, in a wide natural basin where the famous Arno River flows, and is dominated by Pratomagno’s Apennine mountain range.
In origin, in the XII Century, is was a castle which was strategically built over a rock spur on a cliff (the Tuscan word “borro” in fact refers to ravine formed in the bed of a torrent) and all this made it an unconquerable stronghold.

Il Borro dynasties

The first historical accounts indicate ownership of the castle on the part of Borro de Borris of Medulano (Chief magistrate of the city of Arezzo whose name comes from the castle itself) after years of battle between Guelf Florence and Ghibelline Arezzo who fought for centuries over control of this stronghold.
Of significance was the presence of the Dal Borro family and in particular of the notorious general Alessandro Dal Borro, terror of the Turks. Following his death, the property was inherited by his descendants but once the surname became extinct, it was returned to the Gran Ducal crown. Several years later the Florentine government sold the Borro to the Medici-Tornaquinci. In 1867 the property was passed on to the Hohenlohe-Waldenburg family. The 20th century became a time of renewal and transfer of power. In 1904 the entire estate was passed over to the German Princes of Savoia Aosta, to the Duke of Aosta Emanuele Filiberto and then to the Count of Turin Vittorio Emanuele and to the Duke of the Abruzzi Luigi Amedeo. In the mid ‘50s Duke Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta became sole owner of the entire property.

The history